[home]   [news]   [Palm OS]   [Treo]   [Windows Mobile]   [support]

RNS:: HoHo forum thread

Treo 300 problemRNS:: logo
paul wrote: May 20th, 2004
I recently got a 300 and wanted to add some ringtones. I bought the full HoHo and found a site that had some free midi's to download. Everything went fine and I added a couple of the midi;s to my ringer database. I selected one of the tones for my known caller tone and it works fine. However, when I select the same tone for the unknown caller tone (or another downloaded tone) it won't keep it in place. It selects it but upon exiting the program it defaults back to one of the standard Treo tones. No matter how many times I select and save the downloaded tone for the unknown caller or roaming tone it deselects when exiting ringer preferences. Both of these tones play fine in the midi manager.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: May 21st, 2004
Most probably the reason for your problem is that Treo 300 does not like when there are too many ringtones in the "MIDI Ring Tones" database. Make sure you don't keep more than 15 MIDI files in this database - simply move the unused ones to other database(s).
If reducing the number does not immediatelly help, try again after performing a soft reset.

paul wrote: May 21st, 2004
I'm a bit confused. When I am in MIDI manager, I find four databses available: MIDI ring tones, polyphonic (the one I downloaded and loaded), ringtone tools and system MIDI sounds. MIDI ringtones has just two files that I copied from the polyphonic database that I want to use. Ringtone tools is empty and system MIDI sounds has 9 files, the two newly downloaded ones I want to use and 7 others that were there from the start. These include: Alarm, alert, bird concerto, etc. What's odd is that when I go to ringer preferences to selct which tones I want to use I get a list of about twenty tones, none of which show up in MIDI manager.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: May 23rd, 2004
Well... I have no idea then why there is an inconsistency in displaying the ringtones.
Two more things come to my mind: make sure your ringtones names aren't too long. There is also a limitation on Treo 300 - I don't remember exactly, but truncating the names to maximum 15 characters may help. And the second idea: do a soft reset. It won't destroy anything, but it might help.

Linda wrote: July 15th, 2004
I also have the Treo 300. Which phone in your selection of phones do we download for the Treo 300? I hate to seem so dumb on this issue, but I'm able to make up songs but do nothing else with it. How do I get it into my selection of sounds?

Linda

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: July 15th, 2004
You'll have to add MIDI files to the "MIDI Ring Tones" database which should already be present on your device.

If your sounds are already in the MIDI format, simply copy/move them to this database using HoHo's MIDI Manager.

If your sounds are stored as text ringtones in HoHo, use the "Ringtone"=>"Export to MIDI" menu command.

Refer to this HoHo FAQ question for more details: "How to create/edit ringtones for Handspring Treo?" and also follow its "See also" links.

craig wrote: October 10th, 2004
I think that the problem you're having is likely related to the specific tones that you're trying to use, (the polyphonic database is one that I dug up on the web too.) To say it nicely, the 300 is 'finicky' about ring tones. The polyphonic tones will play on my 300, but they break two of the rules that I've come to notice apply to the 300:
1. Only the SMF0 (the most basic NON polyphonic) midi format is supported (although polyphonic tones may play sometimes, they aren't stable, so I try to stay away from them)
2. Individual tones should be shorter than 15 seconds (and I THINK under 15k) otherwise, they can freak the phone out as well, usually resulting in an unwelcomed reset.

It's best if you follow these rules because you CAN get polys and larger files to work from time to time, but they are unreliable, so your phone is going to end up crashing on you about half the time a problem file is used. Stick to format 0 (zero) which means not using any of the sounds in the polyphonic.pdb database. And, when you're using type zeros, keep them under size. After all, this stuff is fun, but it's still a phone, and I can't stand it when my phone crashes.

Hope this helps.
-Craig

James wrote: December 9th, 2004
I purchased HoHo and have no problem playing my selected ringtones in the HoHo Manager or when selected as my Unknown / Known caller tone. However, when I go into my speed dial pages and try to set a personal ringtone for my wife, the selections available do not match the selections available in the unknown/known caller drilldown. Can anyone help me?

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: December 10th, 2004
James, try having no more than 15 MIDI files in the database that you choose from. If reducing to 15 does not help, perform a soft reset. Maybe that will do.

James wrote: December 10th, 2004
I have exactly four files and have performed approx 3 soft resets to no avail. Still same problem. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it very much.
Forum navigationRNS:: logo
All threadsClick here to go back to the list of threads.
Add new message to this threadRNS:: logo
Posting to this forum has been permanently disabled.
[home]   [news]   [Palm OS]   [Treo]   [Windows Mobile]   [support]   [updates]   [forums]
Palm, Treo, and Centro are trademarks or registered trademarks of Palm, Inc.
Copyright © 2024 RNS::

RNS:: website navigation:
RNS:: home page RNS:: news RNS:: Palm OS software RNS:: Windows Mobile software RNS:: support RNS:: update policy