[home]   [news]   [Palm OS]   [Treo]   [Windows Mobile]   [support]

RNS:: HoHo forum thread

Support for Treo 600?RNS:: logo
Colin wrote: December 23rd, 2003
Hi
Can you pls tell me if this prgm works with the new treo 600, and if so:
1. will it allow me to import/export ringtones directly into the Treo600 ringtones database file from this program?
2. does it support the use of the expansion card for storage and importing purposes with the use of this prgm?

Thank you very much for your kind attention

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: December 25th, 2003
Yes, HoHo works with Treo 600.
1. To import/export ringtones directly into the Treo 600 ringtones database, please select the "MIDI Ring Tones" database either in HoHo Preferences or in HoHo's MIDI Manager.
2. Currently no expansion cards support is available, but that's exactly what I'm working on now, and MIDI import/export to expansion cards will be available in the very next version.

Mel Pengelly wrote: January 27th, 2004
i want to have a choose of ringtones on my treo 600. I have a collection of midi files, but the 600 does not recognise them when i install them through the supplied program. are there different types of midi files etc? if so does your software (Hoho) support this and is it simple to use. All i want is some improved ringtones on my phone.

I hope you can help, as i have 5 friends with the same phone and same problem.

Look forward to your reply.

Mel

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: January 28th, 2004
You may use HoHo's MIDI Manager to see if the ringtones are put into a correct database, and if they are not, you can move them. See HoHo FAQ (available at www.ranosoft.net/palm/hoho) to learn the ringtones database name for Treo 600.

When the files are in the correct database, I suppose Treo 600 recognises all MIDI standards.
HoHo recognises only SMF0 one track MIDI format for editing/creating.

Steve wrote: March 17th, 2004
I want to edit my exisiting midis.

When I try to import them from the MIDI manager, I get a message that "this is not SMFO-wrong format".

When I try to follow the treo file conversion directions on the FAQ, I get to the part about naming the file, and I get a message that says "wrong note".

Help

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: March 18th, 2004
The MIDI you're trying to edit must be polyphonic. HoHo supports only SMF0 MIDI files (containing one track), which is the only format supported by most Palm OS handhelds.

If you're getting the "Wrong note" message, then perhaps you're using the inappropriate format? So before converting a rongtone to MIDI, make sure you choose the right format from the drop-down list in the top-right corner. Install additional Format plug-ins if the format of your ringtone is different than those installed.

Rudy wrote: March 27th, 2004
"The MIDI you're trying to edit must be polyphonic. HoHo supports only SMF0 MIDI files (containing one track), which is the only format supported by most Palm OS handhelds."

Unfortunately, almost all of the inbuilt Treo 600 MIDI ringtones ARE polyphonic. Those that are custom-made for the Treo 600 and offered as downloads are also mostly polyphonic.

Currently (without polyphonic MIDI support), HoHo at its best, is more of a ringtone convertor as it accomplishes making ringtones designed for other phones Treo600-compatible. To fully pass as a MIDI editor, it would need to be able to edit MIDIs; polyphonic or not.

Without that HoHo is almost of no use on the Treo 600. Please implement polyphonic MIDI support :)

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: March 27th, 2004
Only for Treo 600? :)

Rudy wrote: March 28th, 2004
Well considering that you've developed apps that were "Only for Treo 600", I presumed you valued business from Treo 600 users...

Or am I wrong?

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: March 28th, 2004
Well, patrially you are right. But note how many Treo 600 users are interested in those products, and how many would be interested in the HoHo's support for polyphony. The "development effort vs. demand" ratio is much much lower here. That's why I'm not currently planning to implement polyphonic MIDI support.

Steve wrote: March 30th, 2004
Thanks for responding Rudy. I'm disappointed with the compatibility with the 600 as I mostly wanted to edit MIDI's downloaded from other sources. While I didn't do extensive prepurchase research, I certainly had the impression HoHo would let me edit ringtones used by the TREo products. As you point out the inbuilts, and the MIDI ringtones downloaded for free from the homepage broswer on the 600 are polyphonic.

Ben Wallace wrote: March 30th, 2004
I would greatly appreciate receing informatin on how to increase the volume of the ringtones on my Treo 600. Obviously the speakers are good because MP3 music can be very loud, even to the point of distrotion. Yet, no matter what I try--downloads, MIDI, etc.---I cannot get my volume loud enought to hear in a noisy room or on the street or in a shopping center.

Thanks.

Ben Wallace

Rudy Chow wrote: March 30th, 2004
Steve - I emphatise with you. I agree that HoHo should state clearly that it would not be able to edit polyphonic MIDIs; which incidently is the format of most MIDIs out there. Who uses a mono MIDI anyway?

Ben - What you're asking is impossible. (I'm presuming the MIDIs are polys.)

We should all really request this. Perhaps then Radoslaw will budge....

Don wrote: April 26th, 2004
I have the same problem with my Treo 600! I cannot hear rings. That is the only reason I bought this app.

Rudy Chow wrote: April 27th, 2004
I can see that the product description can be very misleading. I think Ranosoft should either state clearly that HoHo does not FULLY support Treo 600 ringtones (as most of them are polyphonic midis) or he shold really offer a refund for those who've been misled into making a purchase. It's a question of ethics guys. As for those of you who made the wrong purchase, I urge you all to contact Ranosoft and demand a refund or a future upgrade to a polyphonic-midi-enabled version of HoHo.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: April 28th, 2004
Well, noone says HoHo FULLY supports Treo 600. In fact on Treo 600 it does everything what it can do on all other handhelds PLUS some extra features like Treo 600 ringtones management, SMF0 ringtones creation and edition, etc.

I have just modified HoHo FAQ to emphasize that in many cases HoHo supports SMF0 only.

mike wrote: May 19th, 2004
Could you modify the faq to state that HoHo does not support polyphonic ringtones please? I didin't (and still don't, I have to go read now) know what SMF0 means and I just purchased HoHo on the presumption of polyphonic support since that is most common.

Ah well.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: May 19th, 2004
The definition of SMF0 is (and always was) available on HoHo FAQ exactly here.

The question about Treo 600 does (and did) clearly state that HoHo creates SMF0 MIDI files only.

What more can I modify in the FAQ?

Captain wrote: May 28th, 2004
I have downloaded several Midi files expect to play them on my Treo ring tone. I try to installed them through treo install tool, but it doesn't allow midi files to copy directly into palm phone. So all the files are forced to kept on folder Audio/ in SD card. How can I play my midi ringtones through HOHO. I am kind of stuck now. I find that Hoho does not read from SD as well. If this software does not get my treo 600 to play downloaded MIDI files, what kind of software has it. Please help....

Captain

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: May 28th, 2004
Try Mider for HoHo 2 to get MIDI files from PC to your PDA.

Also get ready for next version of HoHo (4.2) that will be able to exchange MIDI files between main memory and expansion cards.

Centercounter wrote: May 31st, 2004
I'm just glad that I only wasted $10 after reading the FAQ which indicates HoHo supports Treo 600 only to find that to be rubbish here.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: May 31st, 2004
Treat it as you wish - but understand that HoHo does support Treo 600 because it supports all handhelds running Palm OS 3.5 or never. It just does not support each and every feature that Treo 600 provides.

As I said - the FAQ does say what kind of files HoHo supports, so after having read it with understanding, one is fully aware of the limitation in HoHo's support for Treo 600.

Why didn't you check the trial version before "wasting" your $10? What's the use of the trial verison then?

mohammed jolil wrote: June 18th, 2004
What software do you use to play midi files as your ringtone on the treo 600.

I have tried many softwares but cannot find the right one.

I would be really happy if someone could tell me what software to use, and how i can use mp3s or midi files as my ringtone on my treo 600?

Thankyou

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: June 18th, 2004
I don't know about MP3's as ringtones for the Treo, but it is HoHo that lets you play MIDI files as ringtones on the Treo 600.

HoHo's MIDI Manager can put your MIDI files in the appropriate database so that it becomes visible among other ringtones in the ringer selection list (Prefs=>Sound=>Phone=>Tones). On Treo 600 the database is called "MIDI Ring Tones" (see the picture on the right). Use HoHo's MIDI Manager to move your MIDI files to that database.

But first you may need to get your MIDI files from PC to your phone. Use Mider for HoHo 2 to achieve it.

mohammed jolil wrote: June 19th, 2004
Thankyou for the reply Radoslaw Nowak.

Im still having problems.
I downloaded (Mider for HoHo 2)and Hoho software but
i can not transfer the midi file from my computer to the treo 600.

The Mider for Hoho2 want let me achieve the midi files.

I cant find a software named
(Midi File Format Conversion) to convert the midi's to SMFO.

This could be the reason y i cant achieve the midi files into (midi ringtones pdb).Do u know where i can download this program?

I would be rally happy if someone could help me, i have been trying for the last 6 hours.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: June 19th, 2004
Here it is:
www.ranosoft.net/palm/hoho/midi_ffc.zip

Rudy Chow wrote: June 19th, 2004
Mohammed,

You DO NOT need HoHo or any other software to use MIDI files as ringers on your Treo 600.

By default, the Treo 600 uses MIDIs as ringers. So all those ringers that you see in the preferences->sounds->tones are all MIDIs.

An easy way to install a new MIDI would be to send it in an email to yourself. You can then use the inbuilt email app "Mail" to receive and install it. Or you can always beam it to yourself, but that would reaquire 2 seperate devices.

Mohammed Jolil wrote: June 20th, 2004
Thankyou for that mesage Rudy.

After spending all day yesterday, i have finally managed to transfer the midi files to the treo 600.
However the (Midi) sound quality is really poor.
When I play music on the Treo 600, the music quality is really good but the midi sound is really bad.

Thankyou for telling that i can send an email wiv the midi file in it.

Can you please tell me how i can attatch a midi file to a email?

Do you know which web site i can download good quality (Midi) files or (polyphonic)?

I would be very grateful if you can help me.

Rudy Chow wrote: June 20th, 2004
>Can you please tell me how i can attatch a midi file to a email?

In the palmOne Mail app, you simply create a new email and press menu, go to options and select "Insert Attachment". You will be given a choice of what type of attachment you want. For MIDIs, choose "Sounds". Select your MIDI and send email.

>Do you know which web site i can download good quality (Midi) files or (polyphonic)?

http://www.angelfire.com/on/jay/midi.html
http://mididb.com
http://ninobaldan.altervista.org/midi.htm
http://www.schiessler.com/s55.html

There you go!

David Griffith wrote: July 1st, 2004
I am also wondering about the volume issue.

I have a file that was in ericsson format as I recall and when I play it, it sounds great. Nice and loud. Volume shows at half way. 63 I think. I saved it as a ring tone and play it back and can just barely hear it. I went back and set vol to 127 as I recall and save it again. Volume is still really low.

What is up with this? It seemed to be same volume at 63 and 127.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I also would like to edit/modify/create poly format. I also thought I could do it with HoHo. I did try the demo but it was so crippled with only 2 plugins that I decided I would have to get the purchased one to find out what it could really do.

Steve wrote: July 1st, 2004
Sounds like most of us agree HoHo isn't very useful to TREO 600 users. If anyone ever solves the volume issue for imported MIDIs, please report back here for the benefit of the rest of us.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: July 1st, 2004
So the sounds are loud enough when they are in a text format, but they get softer when exported to MIDI. Is that what you mean?

Steve wrote: July 1st, 2004
MIDI files that I download off various internet sites
and store on my treo will not play back at a sufficient volume to allow use as a viable ringtone. (The inbuilt ringtones are loud enough.) The ringtones available for purchase off of the site the browser points you to are somewhat louder, but selection is very limited. I had hoped that in addition to the other ediitng features, HOHO would allow volume enhancement on the MIDIs.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: July 1st, 2004
I see. You can't do it with HoHo, because it can't edit polyphonic MIDIs.

If they were not polyphonic, you could use HoHo's MIDI Editor's "Scale Volumes" option to maximize the volume automatically.

There must be a tool on PC that can do the same what HoHo can, but in reference to the polyphonic MIDI files. Unfortunately I can't recall any titles.

Mohammed wrote: July 2nd, 2004
After spending so much time with the HOHO software within the last two weeks, i dont know what to do any more.

Does any one know which other software apart from HOHO lets u play polyphonic ringtones and midi files on the treo 600?

Thanks for them sites Rudy Chow, but i was wandering does any one know which other web sites i can download polyphonic ringtones for the treo 600?

Is there another way of saving the polyphonic or midi files to the main handset and them playing the midi or polyphonic as a ringtone with out using the HOHO software?

I would be really happy if some one could help me :-)

Rudy Chow wrote: July 2nd, 2004
Mohammed, you can download the midi files directly to your Treo 600 simply by using the inbuilt web browser to surf to those sites that I previously gave you. The midis there are polyphonic.

When you click on the link in the web browser, a message will popup asking what you want to do with the file. Choose "save." This will bring you to the inbuilt midi ringtone manager. From there you can play the midi that you've just downloaded.

Here are more good sites:
http://treo.tc/ringtones.html
http://www.treo1.com/

Rudy Chow wrote: July 9th, 2004
Hi Folks!

I know of one SUREFIRE method to install MIDIs onto your Treo 600 and the best thing about it is you don't need any additional 3rd-party software or a GPRS connection. That's right folks, I will teach you how to get MIDIs onto your Treo 600 using only the software that came with your device! But you do need an SD card and a SD reader on your PC. (-Hey who doesn't these days?)

The trick involves "Local Web Pages." What's that you say? Well, it is basically using the inbuilt web browser to open up a webpage that is Local. This is called the "Local Web Pages" method.

1. Copy the MIDI files onto your SD card. Take note of the path. Just use the root folder for simplicity.
2. Launch the inbuilt web browser.
3. Press Menu+G to invoke the URL "Go To" dialog.
4. Here's the key: remove the "http://" bit and replace with "file:///" and type out the exact path pointing to the MIDI file you transferred in step 1. The whole thing should look something like, "file:///ringtone.mid".
5. Click OK and choose Yes when you are asked if you want to download the file. Next, choose Save and the MIDI file will be trasferred to your ringtone database. ENJOY!

So there you have it folks! An easy & surefire way of getting MIDI ringtones onto your Treo 600 device. No messing with 3rd party software and having to email to yourself, etc. And best thing is, it works for both monophonic and polyphonic MIDIs!

Mohammed wrote: July 11th, 2004
Thanks for that message Rudy Chow.
It really works.The only problem i had was that i had to use my friends mmc reader to copy midi files to the SD card.

After i copied the midi file to the SD card.I then followed your instructions and it really worked.

Is there a quick way of copying the midi files to the SD card with out using the mmc reader?

Can i copy the midi file from the pc to the treo 600 SD card with out useing a mmc reader?

I would be really happy if you could help me.
Thanks

Rudy Chow wrote: July 11th, 2004
You can try out Card Export II by Softick.

It is a software that makes your Treo 600 act like a SD card reader. You can copy files directly from the PC to your SD card using the hotsync cable.

Check it out: http://www.softick.com/cardexport/

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: July 11th, 2004
Hmmm... Isn't it faster to use Mider for HoHo 2 instead of playing with cards? :-)

Some of us would rather stick to the inbuilt applications...

And correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the pdb files installed by mider only managebale by HoHo? Which means you'd still need HoHo to transfer the MIDIs to the inbuilt ringtone database.

No disrespect but i dont see the point when I can do this with the inbuilt applications.

No disrespect from my side either.

You are right, but:

Card Export II is not the inbuilt application :)

The PDB files installed by Mider are saved in the standard Palm MIDI format, and they theoretically can be read by any MIDI manager on Palm. Well... HoHo seems to be the only one at the moment.

Actually if you read my main post regarding the "Local Web Pages" transfer method again, you'd see no mention of Card Export II.

I had no intention of mentioning Card Export II until Mohammed asked for a workaround in the event that a SD reader is not available. So my mention of Card Export II is more of a response to a problem/enquiry rather than a component of the method that I was suggesting.

If you read my post carefully, you'd realise that the "Local Web Pages" method really does use ONLY software that is inbulit.

OK, but that required a card reader that can be treated on the same level as third party software.

Anyway, both methods are good, but using Mider seems to be more natural and quicker to me. Finally, the Mider method is cheaper... it's even free: Mider is free, and the trial version of HoHo with one plug-in installed (MIDI Manager) is also free.

Mohammed wrote: July 12th, 2004
Thanks for that message Rudy Chow.
Sorry i missed Radoslaw Nowak and your messages this morning.

I can uderstand what Radoslaw Nowak is saying, but i found Rudy Chow method much easier.

I downloaded softick Card Export II and followed the instructions you gave me and it actually worked.

After spending so much time with HoHo i found that Rudy Chow method was much easier.

Thanks for all your help.Hope to contact you in the future for any problem arise, if thats ok?

Rudy Chow wrote: July 12th, 2004
Hey no problem Mohammed!

I'm just happy to help out a fellow Treo user :)
Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Mohammed wrote: July 14th, 2004
Hi Rudy Chow,i just wanted to share some information with you.

I have found a site where you can download the latest ringtones as midi files.
www.tx1.com
You can save the ringtone to your pc by >right click< and save it.
It will download to your pc as a midi file.

I know alot of Treo user like my self look for sites where we can download midi files.
This is a site which i can recommend user to use.
Hope every1 tries this site.:-) :-) :-)

Rudy Chow wrote: July 14th, 2004
Great site Mohammed! Thanks!

mohammed wrote: August 4th, 2004
Hi Rudy Chow,how r u?
Just wanted to ask u a question.

Do u know which sits i can download full palm softwares from?
such as:
(MSDictionary Viewer)
(Personal Audio Recorder)

Its for my Treo 600

If u dont want to put it on the RNS:: HoHo Discussion - thread view can u please send a mail to my email address.

majmax1@yahoo.co.uk

Can u help me please.Thanks

Rudy Chow wrote: August 5th, 2004
Hi Mohammed,

Unfortunately I do not know of such sites; I normally test software and buy what I like.

IMO, we as end users, have to do our part to keep the Palm community alive. If no one pays for Palm software, there is the danger that the developers are gonna stop producing them. Basic supply & demand.

So in a nutshell - Support shareware! If you like it, Buy it! :)

gaudy wrote: August 16th, 2004
My ringtone is not loud enought...
Like to know how to get to do this

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: August 20th, 2004
If it's a monophonic ringtone, then you may use HoHo's MIDI Editor and its "Scale Volumes..." menu command.

Make sure the "Maximum volume" is set to 127 (the maximum value). You may also increase the "Minimum volume" value.

Matt Bell wrote: October 22nd, 2004
I bought this software assuming that the Palm OS support meant that I would be able to install my midi files to my Samsung i500 Palm OS phone. Now, in reading this thread, I've discovered I too have wasted $10. Guess it's my own fault, but when this software is recommended for your phone but doesn't perform as you would hope (poly support) it sucks.

JonPaul wrote: November 5th, 2004
Is there ay software program or update out there that would upgrade the MIDI sounds on the TREO 600? The drums sound tingy and the bass is weak. Is there a midi library upgrade out there or some type of software upgrade that would improve the stock midi sounds? Help! Jonpwallers@Hotmail.com

Ron wrote: January 3rd, 2005
Loading Ringtones into the Treo 600

1. My Treo600 will only accept WAV files (at least I can?t get it to recognize *.mid or *.mp3 files.)
2. A combination of programs allows the WAV files to be played on the Treo. Two files need to be loaded and running on the Treo: Lightwav and MCRinger. Neither program alone will set the ringtone, but together they allow MCRinger to play the WAV files.
3. Lightwav has a program called ?wavConvertor.exe? which will allow you to load the WAV file on the PC and convert it to a Palm database file (*.pdb). You can then Hotsync the pdb file to the Treo, where Lightwav will recognize it.
4. If you have a midi file, use a program such as ?midi2wav recorder? to convert the midi file to WAV format.

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: January 4th, 2005
Ron,
If HoHo is installed, it will accept single MIDI files via IrDA, Bluetooth, etc.
To install MIDI files from PC, use Mider for HoHo 2.
To install MIDI files from expansion cards, use HoHo MIDI Card Plug-in.

William wrote: February 10th, 2005
But will it work with a Samsung i500?

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: February 10th, 2005
Yes for MIDI files (e.g. alarms).
No for ringtones as on the Samsung i500 they are not MIDI files.

Jeremy wrote: April 5th, 2005
I would pay $50 (maybe more) for a poly midi editor/composer for the treo 600+. Outside of being able to compose ring tones on the fly, musicians could work out rhythms, layers, and melodies on the road.

Tom Polyphonic Hutto wrote: May 27th, 2005
Polyphonic support please.

Is moding HoHo to support poly a really hard programming job?

Radoslaw Nowak (RNS::) wrote: May 31st, 2005
Not really. It just requires precious time which I currently don't have :(
Forum navigationRNS:: logo
All threadsClick here to go back to the list of threads.
Add new message to this threadRNS:: logo
Posting to this forum has been permanently disabled.
[home]   [news]   [Palm OS]   [Treo]   [Windows Mobile]   [support]   [updates]   [forums]
Palm, Treo, and Centro are trademarks or registered trademarks of Palm, Inc.
Copyright © 2024 RNS::

RNS:: website navigation:
RNS:: home page RNS:: news RNS:: Palm OS software RNS:: Windows Mobile software RNS:: support RNS:: update policy